On yer bike! Free public transport for kids idea derailed by cycling advocates :: Free rail passenger services for Takoradi, Tarkwa commuters :: Thrills @ Amakye Dede @ 45 Concert :: UTV Hosts Celebrities On New Year’s Day :: 2 past BoG Governors responsible for ‘rotten’ banking system – Joe Jackson :: Togolese Soldiers Intrusion Reported To Interpol :: GES announces reopening dates for Senior High Schools :: Socialists again call for action to ‘stop expats displacing Amsterdammers’ :: Kofi Annan''s Death; Ghana Flags To Fly At Half-Mast For One Week :: Let’s spend on the living not the dead – Palmer-Buckle to Ghanaians ::

General News
English language now basic for UK visa, marriage 12/18/2010

The British High Commission is alerting the travelling public, particularly all non-European migrants to the United Kingdom that they now have to demonstrate a basic command of English before they are granted a UK visa.

The rules, in operation since November 29, 2010 apply to “spouses, civil partnerships, unmarried couples, same sex partners and fiancé(e)s, and will be compulsory for those applying from within the UK as well as visa applicants from overseas.”

A statement issued by the Commission Friday said “A spouse coming from outside Europe will therefore need to provide evidence to the UK Border Agency with their visa application that they have passed an English language test with one of the UK Border Agency’s approved test providers.”

Applicants are required to arm themselves with the level of English proficient enough to enable them cope with everyday situations.

“Under the previous rules spousal visa applicants had to meet a range of criteria before being allowed to enter the UK. For example, all applicants had to show that their marriage or partnership was genuine and that they could support themselves financially. Those requirements remain in place, with the addition of this new English-language requirement.

It also remains the case that, regardless of whether the marriage took place in the UK or overseas, the non-UK partner must apply for a two year settlement visa to come and live in the UK as a spouse,” the statement said.


Copyright© Radio Recogin 2022 Designed by [ModernGhana.com