Thrills @ Amakye Dede @ 45 Concert :: UTV Hosts Celebrities On New Year’s Day :: 2 past BoG Governors responsible for ‘rotten’ banking system – Joe Jackson :: Togolese Soldiers Intrusion Reported To Interpol :: GES announces reopening dates for Senior High Schools :: Socialists again call for action to ‘stop expats displacing Amsterdammers’ :: Kofi Annan''s Death; Ghana Flags To Fly At Half-Mast For One Week :: Let’s spend on the living not the dead – Palmer-Buckle to Ghanaians :: Heart failure could heighten the risk of developing cancer: Dutch research :: Six bribery ''headquarters'' in Ghana ::





General News
Ten million to fight radicalisation 3/16/2007
AMSTERDAM – The government is setting aside EUR 10 million to combat radicalisation. Seven ministries will be sending a joint action plan to Parliament in April or May. Minister Guusje ter Horst of Home Affairs announced this in a meeting with Parliament on anti-terrorism measures on Wednesday.

She is not specifying yet what the plans entail. She did say that the participation of the local governments will determine the success of the plans. The government has been concerned about increasing radicalisation among Muslim youth for some time now.

Ter Horst also said women are playing a growing role in possible terrorist activities. They have "an extremely active role" especially on the internet, where they are primarily involved in translating and disseminating texts. They also play "a more active role when it comes to a specific threat," Ter Horst said, without giving further explanation.


Most MPs want to know what measures the government is taking to fight radicalisation on the internet. Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin mentioned that a method has been developed to monitor the internet and trace radical statements. He did say that he realised the internet is "infinitely large" and that some things are bound to escape the government''s attention.

The police''s reporting centre for cyber-crime has also been given a new boost, in hopes that the number of reports of radical and terrorist statements will increase. The reporting centre received 150 reports over the past year.

No websites have been shut down so far however, said Hirsch Ballin. The public prosecution department has reviewed the reports. "But we cannot intervene unless some crime has been committed," the minister pointed out.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2007]

Subject: Dutch news


 
Copyright© Radio Recogin 2019 Designed by [ModernGhana.com